Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thank You Dr Ramirez!

From my previous post, I've been worrying about my chances of getting pregnant after the Cornual Pregnancy..

While I was browsing the net, I saw Dr Ramirez's blog : click here where any questions regarding infertility treatment will be answered by Dr Ramirez.

Without hesitation I wrote him this question:

*******************************************************
Hello Dr Ramirez., I am Reen from Malaysia and I'm 29 years old. My both fallopian tubes had to be removed and IVF is the only resort that can make me pregnant. I did my first IVF treatment on 2010 and the result was negative. I retrieved 25 eggs, and 8 was fertilized. 3 embies were transferred and the result was negative. Not so long after that, i decided to move on with my frozen embies, and again, the result was negative. Later, i went for a second opinion and my Doctor told me that i had a PCOS. That would be probably the reason why both my IVF cycles had failed. Without hesitation, i went through a laparoscopy ovarian drilling (LOD) with hope that i will produce better eggs in my next IVF cycles. Early this year, i had my 3rd round of IVF. 15 eggs was retrieved, but only 6 were fertilised. 3 embies were transferred and the first beta appeared positive, but on the lower side 77.4. I did my second beta after 2 days, but it wasn't doubled up as expected, it was only 87.9. My doctor predicted that i will have my menses within a week or two. In other words, I failed again. However, 3 weeks after the first beta, my menses didn't show up and with my own initiative, i took my own blood test. Guess what? my beta level was 16,471! I straight away went to see my doctor and a TVS was performed. My doctor saw a heartbeat, but he told me that my baby was not inside my uterus. He told me that i was having a CORNUAL PREGNANCY. In order to save me, the baby has to be removed. Now my question is, after the CORNUAL PREGNANCY, what are my chances of success in my next IVF cycle? Will I not be pregnant again? Please please please help me Dr Ramirez, as I am puzzled and I really dont know what to do. 





 And yesterday, I was super excited when receiving his reply. And here are his reply:


 ******************************************************
Hello Ms. Zuhdi,
 
Your question is fairly easy to answer, let me provide that courtesy.
 
A Cornual pregnancy is a form of “ectopic” pregnancy, meaning that it is outside of the uterine cavity.  It is a life-threatening type of pregnancy because the cornua has large blood vessels that supply it.  If it should rupture, you can hemorrhage to death.  Therefore, it should be taken care of swiftly.
 
This pregnancy shows that you can get pregnant via IVF.  It is unknown why the embryo migrated to the cornua, but despite this, your chances of a successful IVF in the future are good.  You need to keep trying.
 
Good Luck,
 
 
Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program




Ok, I'm now soo relieved!!! Although, A cornual pregnancy is an extremely rare case, but Dr Ramirez told me that I do have chances to get pregnant again.

Pheww.. what a relieve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment